Looking to Conceive? Om Births is here to help with Fertile Body Yoga!
Studies have shown a relationship between stress and conception.
Fertile Body Yoga classes use the style of Slow Flow Yoga. We link the breath with slow movement to create mindfulness which helps to relax the mind and bring awareness to the body.
Next 4 week series begins Monday Dec 5th at 7pm.
Through Fertile Body classes you will learn to:
- Reduce stress by deepening and controlling the breath (pranayama) and physical postures (asana)
- Stretch and open the pelvis, lower back, hips, groins, chest, and shoulders (asana)
- Open and support the pelvic area by increasing blood flow to the reproductive organs and activating the pelvic floor muscle
- Learn healthy emotional and cognitive skills to better navigate the ups and downs of everyday life and the journey to parenthood. We will utilize the practices of concentration and meditation (dharana and dyrana), visualization, yogic philosophy (yamas and niyamas), and mindful self-awareness (pratyahara and Svadhyaya)
- Create a sense of community so that women feel supported in their journey, as well as to decrease the feeling of isolation
The Fertile Body Yoga classes are open to all women who would like to have a baby.
This includes women who:
- would like to get pregnant and are finding that it is taking longer than expected
- are aware that they have fertility challenges (PCOS, endometriosis, unexplained fertility etc.)
- have irregular menstrual cycles
- have experienced a miscarriage or multiple miscarriages
- are preparing for any ART (artificial reproductive therapy - i.e. hormone therapy, IUI, IVF)
- are at the beginning of their family making journey and would like to enhance the possibility of conception
- are feeling stressed out, overwhelmed, obsessed, confused, frustrated, sad, impatient, helpless, or powerless throughout their efforts to conceive
What Fertile Body Yoga is not:
This is not a hot yoga or power yoga class. Both of these styles of yoga are considered inhibiting to fertility. We offer a slow flow style of yoga in a temperature controlled room that will allow your body and mind to relax and restore. Our focus is not on giving your body a work out, we’re focused on creating a receptive and fertile body.
Fertile Body Yoga is not group therapy. Although we do a quick check in at the beginning of class, we encourage the more in depth sharing to happen after class, allowing for a neutral class atmosphere. If there is something you would like to share with the teacher in private you may do so before class. If you feel that you would benefit from some therapy or coaching we would be happen to refer you.
Yoga for fertility is not a magic pill or drug that will result in a baby. It is a practice that will give you the ability to better navigate daily stressors and the ups and downs of becoming pregnant. By relieving stress (through mind/body practices), your body has the opportunity to be fully fertile, heightening your chances of conception. We ask that you come to class with an open mind, no expectations, and no attachments.
The main goal of the Fertile Body Yoga classes is to help women take more control of their reproductive health and become as fertile as possible. We do this by focusing on the whole body (not just the reproductive organs) and relaxing the mind to reduce stress.
About Kerry Hinds
My journey to parenthood had many swerves and curves. I waited, as many women do these days, to begin trying to get pregnant in my mid 30‘s. Over 3 years we experienced 4 insemination cycles, one pregnancy, one miscarriage, and 3 failed IVF cycles. We finally decided to stop what we were doing and regroup. A couple months later I conceived naturally and went into labor with my son on my 38th birthday. 9 months later I conceived naturally again and gave birth to another son. For this, I feel infinitely blessed.
In the middle of my fertility journey, I decided that I needed to do something truly monumental for myself on my 35th birthday - I signed up for a Yoga Teacher Training with Frog Lotus International. I am so thankful that I did! With my return to the USA in 2016, I attended the Om Births Prenatal Yoga teacher training which rekindled my passion for teaching yoga. With my experiences and background, the idea of a fertility yoga program was a natural progression for myself, as well as a natural fit for Om Births director and founder Bec Conant. I recently completed a Yoga for Fertility Teacher Training with Sue Dumais.
My yoga practice helped me emotionally, mentally, and physically throughout my years of trying to conceive. I look forward to sharing this in more detail during the Fertile Body Yoga classes and hope to support other women on their journeys to becoming parents.